Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bad News...

Well the next blog I posted was supposed to be the good news that I was finally pregnant again and due in September, but unfortunately the news is not good. I had another miscarriage this week. This is the second one since October. The doctor finally ran some tests and here's the kicker...I have Hashimoto's Disease. It is a very common form of hypothyroidism and an auto-immune disorder. Basically my own body is attacking my thyroid and causing it to not work. I was started on medication today and they will hopefully have the right dosage figured out within 2 months. I now have to take a pill everyday for the rest of my life, but at least I might start feeling better now.

I get a little comfort out of knowing the likely cause of the miscarriages and that it wasn't my fault. Some women never know why they have a miscarriage and that is hard to deal with. I have another appointment next Friday to do some more testing and rule out anything else. So for now I just have to keep taking my medicine and wait it out for a few months then we can start thinking about trying again. Hopefully in a few months I will also feel back to my normal self and my thyroid problem will be on the mend.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

So is there a reason why it's just now becoming a problem? Or have you always had signs/symptoms?

jennie said...

I am sorry Amber. I know that feeling of loss, and it is so hard. When I had mine, 3 of my cousins, Rachael and 4 friends were all pregnant too. Not to mention that most people just do not understand.
For now, hug your girls a little tighter:)

Thinking of you...